Saturday, January 08, 2005

A Salty Piece of Land

Well...another day, another book. I finished reading A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett last night, and I thought that since I set the precedent of offering my thoughts on books I finished, I'd better comment on this one too.

Jimmy Buffett does not write "literature". Never has, never will. His music is escapist, and perfect for surviving long winters here in the frozen wasteland. This is also VERY true of his books. A Salty Piece of Land is no different. This book tells the story of Tully Mars, the restoration of a tropical lighthouse, and interweaves tales of the jungle, escapes from bounty hunters hired by an insane poodle rancher, a foam party, and boats (both the sailing and the flying kinds).

The story is told in first person by Tully, and is mostly a series of flashbacks of his life...which is perfect. If you've never read a book by Jimmy Buffett (but love his music), you really should...if you've read any of his previous books (Tales From Margaritaville, Where is Joe Merchant?, A Pirate Looks at Fifty) you already know he knows how to tell a story, and should read this one too). If you only read books that are LITERATURE (i.e. on some "high school or college reading list") I doubt you'll read this book...but then again, I doubt you're actually reading this post either...so nevermind.