Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Why I Hate New Years Resolutions

Okay...full disclosure: I don't make New Years Resolutions...I think they are stupid.

If you need something random and arbitrary (like the turn of the calendar to another year) to motivate you, my condolences. Why not use your birthday, the Fourth of July, or Arbor Day for that matter? None of them are any less important (or arbitrary), and really, some are probably much more important an occasion.

So, you're probably wondering what brought about this rant? Well, it's simple...I am a member of the local YMCA. I have been a member for several months, and have gotten into a great routine which has lately been placed into shambles thanks to the "New Years Resolutionists." I find it funny that year after year people go through the same routine with their resolutions. To lose weight, get in shape, blah blah blah...but they never follow through. I've read that it takes a minimum of 6 weeks to form a new habit (like going to the Y for a workout, changing your diet, etc)...so for almost all of these Resolutionists, they will never get their habits changed.

The temptations are just too great, especially here in the frozen wasteland. The weather is a great excuse "I'll go tomorrow, it's (snowing/raining/icy/-50 windchill) out, so I really should stay home." Well, staying at home leads itself to the creature comforts of TV and snacks, and zap, people are quickly sucked back into their old routines, never to see the inside of the YMCA again...until next January.

The local YMCA even discussed this issue in a newspaper article where they said that most of these new members will likely stop attending by early to mid February...but until then, I, like many other regulars, are forced to suffer/adjust our schedules around people using the treadmills for their 30 minute walks (when there is a perfectly good walking track available).

God I love New Years Resolutions...